Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What is Keratosis Pilaris

I was reading through a book today and I came across the word Keratosis pilaris and I thought it wise I discuss it on my post today. I know you may be wondering what this, not to worry, is I will explain what it is all about in a while.

Keratosis pilaris also known as “chicken skin” it is an inherited follicular problem recognized by little difficult lumps on the epidermis. It usually happens on the back and external side of the higher arms, it can also appear on the hip and legs, butt or flanks. It may not be a harmful skin disease but it is affecting an approximated 50% or more of the mature population.

Keratosis pilaris happens when a locks string becomes connected with unwanted keratin, which is a natural proteins in the epidermis. These connected hair follicles outcome in small red lumps and/or difficult areas sometimes becoming infected and annoyed in the more serious situations. KP is not pimples even though it looks very similar. Pimples are a consequence of oils (oil) preventing the skin pores not keratin. Keratosis pilaris is also different from pimples in that is can be more intense in people with more dry epidermis or in a chillier, more dry atmosphere. Kp lumps can avoid the locks from increasing out of the impacted string leading to an in-grown locks.

keratosis pilaris comes in three different varieties:

Keratosis pilaris alba - lumps without the swelling or discomfort (most common)

Keratosis pilaris rubra - a more red and infected type

Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii - a red allergy on the cheeks


On my next post I will discussing on self care measure that will be helpful in treating Keratosis pilaris

No comments:

Post a Comment